We don’t just do cheer, we live cheer! I don’t know about you, but at Omni Cheer we love learning about cheerleading, whether it’s a new stunt or a historical moment. There’s a lot to know about cheerleading. It’s been around for over 100 years!
In the spirit of cheer, we’ve chosen just 10 fascinating facts about cheerleading to share with you that you may or may not have known.
- There are nearly 4 million cheerleaders in the U.S.
- 400,000 of those 4 million are high school cheerleaders
- More than 50% of cheerleaders also play another sport
- The cheerleading capital of the U.S. is Texas
- There are 5 “Bring It On” movies (but nothing beats the original)
- Although cheerleading is over 100 years old, All Star cheer wasn’t formed until the 1980s
- The Dallas Cowboys were the first NFL team to have a recognized cheer squad
- Cheerleading was originally an all-male activity
- In 2012, Maddie Gardner became the first individual cheerleader to sign a sports management contract
- Pom poms were originally called “pom pons” when they were first created
What are your favorite cheer facts?