You’ve been training, conditioning and learning your basic cheerleading moves all year, and tryouts are almost here! Now that you’ve got yourself physically and mentally prepared for your audition, make sure to fill your cheer bag with these items on the day of your tryout from our cheerleading tryout checklist.
- Bring a pair of practice shorts (not baggy, and an appropriate length), and a form fitting tee or tank. It will show off your spirit if you wear your school colors. Sometimes, the coach will require certain styles or colors for tryouts, so be sure to check.
- Wear clean, white, indoor performance shoes that are designed for cheerleaders. You can find affordable cheer shoe styles from Chassé; just be sure to order in plenty of time to receive before the big day. Don’t spend a lot of money on your tryout shoes, since you’ll have to purchase the team shoes if you make the squad. You also want to wear a low ankle sock in white, also available from Chassé.
- Don’t forget to bring a sports bra to change into before your audition. If you are going to be doing any stunting or tumbling, make sure to bring a pair of cheer briefs to wear under your shorts.
- Step up your spirit by decorating your hairstyle with a cheer bow. It’s best to get one in your school colors. Make sure you know how the current cheerleaders wear the bow, so you stand out for looking like a team mate, not for a mistake.
- If your school’s team uses pom poms, don’t forget to bring a pair of your own to enhance your performance!
- Purchase pre-glittered stars in your team’s colors and wear on your cheek for an extra dose of spirit! Make sure that the team allows glitter makeup and accessories first.
- After a full day of classes, you may want to freshen up before your tryout. Bring deodorant, floss and your toothbrush and toothpaste and you’ll be prepared to smile big while you work hard.
- You’ll want to make sure that your hair is pulled back, off your face. Pack a brush, curling iron, hairspray and ponytail holder and you’ll be able to take your hairdo from student to cheerleader in no time!
- Bring basic makeup items, like concealer and powder, for a small touch up before tryouts. Don’t overdo your makeup – save the big show for games and performances!
- Don’t forget to take off all of your jewelry and store it in your cheer bag. Also, avoid using lotions and oils that could interfere with your ability to perform, and don’t go crazy with the body spray. If you overdo the scents, you could end up giving the judges a headache.
- Stay hydrated all day, and have a reusable water bottle on hand for before and after your tryout.
- Keep a snack in your bag that is quick and easy to eat to help give you extra energy before you perform for the judges.
- If you are on any medications or pain relievers, be sure that you have those packed.
- If you need an ankle, knee, shin, etc. wrap or brace, don’t forget to include it in your bag.
- Bring a notebook and pen for notes and jotting down information.
- Some tryouts will require that you bring your own music. It is vital that you make sure that you pack it!
Use this checklist to help you pack your bag the night before, then double check everything in the morning. Good luck!