If you're a cheerleading coach, congratulations, you've made it! Sure, you may have to fight for recognition of your sport
and it would be great if your dream job came with a bigger paycheck, but you have an important and fun role
that comes with lots of perks. There are so many things to love about coaching, but as we celebrate things to love about our great sport, we've picked the top five things to love about being a cheer coach:
- You get the final say on uniforms. Sure, you get to make most of the decisions now anyway, but there is no power like that of having the final say on the team uniforms. The beauty of being a coach is you can do the whole process yourself if you want, or you can charge your captains with doing the research and presenting you the best options. But you get to wave your magic pencil and choose the winner. No more weird uniforms you don't like!
- You get to impact young lives. You will impart more than just your impeccable cheer fashion sense on your team members. Sports are a training ground for life. You have the privilege of influencing your younger cheerleaders, whether it's real-world lessons and advice or just a safe, fun place to make memories.
- You get to stay involved in the sport you love. Once a cheerleader, always a cheerleader"”only now, you get the best of both worlds. As a coach, you can demonstrate skills and join in the choreography as you want to, but you don't have to do the parts you never really liked.
- You have a job that keeps you up, active, and healthy. Your friends are sitting at desks all day, and even if you have a second job, being a cheer coach means you get a break to basically get paid to cheer. (Doesn't that mean you can technically call yourself a professional cheerleader?)
Now you tell us! What do you love most about being a cheer coach?
- You don't have to do the not-as-fun parts anymore. Jump in and do some conditioning if you want to get a workout in, but if you don't feel like it, don't. You've more than earned the right to just sit back with your whistle and sip a latte.